1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions from a dummy...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pahgugu1995, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Pahgugu1995

Pahgugu1995 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    So, im new here and im interested in knowing a few stuff which i believe to be general, tried searching and reading the tutorials in the forums but it seems like my general knowledge of android is lacking by very much (pardon me, iOS user here). So just a few stuff that i want to know...

1. As far as i am concern, there is a rooted and unrooted version of android but, i am seeing that most of the mods are available to use without having to root the device. If so, then what is the point of rooting the device if you can easily use mods without one? (Except for the fact that certain games needs to have rooted device)

2. What is a signed and unsigned apk? Does it mean that signed apk is from the original source of google playstore which is released by the devs? and does unsigned apk means the opposited of signed apk? If so, why is that certain mods for games or people around asks for signed and unsigned specifically? Is there an advantage or disadvantage of doing so?

3. If i download an older version of apk files of any games on the store, will i still be able to use it? or would the game auto updates itself to the latest version? So does that mean the purpose of having older apk files on apks websites (apkpure) is just for the archive?

4. Not all games work on emulators (bluestacks,nox,droid4x), does this mean that the certain games that dont work on emulators will never work on emulator until the devs decide to make it viable through emulators? or is there another way around to get into the game with emulator?

Thanks in advance to whoever replies :) Don't bash a newbie thanks :D
  2. HiyakeIchirou

HiyakeIchirou Active Member

Nov 8, 2015

1. Rooting is something similar to getting Administrator rights on Windows. It allows you to access the /system partition on Android and modify system files. It also opens up a whole new world of modding and other tweaks to Android which include:
    - Removing advertisements
    - Make your device run faster by removing redundant apps
    - Installing custom software like CyanogenMod
    Certain games require you to modify game files in the /data partition which requires rooting to access. Most non root games have been modified through the apk itself, which means you don't have to touch anything in the partitions that require root.

2. Signed apks are the original untouched apks from the devs themselves that will work with Google Play Services. Most unsigned apks do not work with the Google Play Services. The main disadvantage for unsigned apks is that you will not be able to make purchases in game through the Google Play Store or see your achievements online.

3. If the game is online, chances are it will force you to update to the latest version, especially if the game servers checks your client before allowing you to log in. Offline games should be fine if you don't connect online to play.

4. In the first place, most game developers never intended their games to work on emulators. In fact, some of them have a strict policy about using emulators to play their games which will usually result in a ban.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.
  3. Dogboy69

Dogboy69 I AR Make Video
    Staff Member Team AR

Jan 26, 2015
    Signed apks are complete apks, when modding you need to sign the mod so a device will allow it to install, unsigned mods are technically unfinished but are the only way to login to a google account when using mods, this is why people ask for them.
    Everything else in the previous post is correct^^