1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with obfuscated function?

Discussion in 'Public Mod / Hack Discussion' started by tester123, Apr 14, 2016.

1. tester123

tester123 Advanced Member

I am currently attempting to mod some games in smali code. Unfortunately the functions seems to all have been obfuscated. Googling leads me to the conclusion it's most likely done by proguard. To reverse engineering the function's name, i'd need mapping.txt that ProGuard produces when it shrinks the code, but I do not have it.

So I am wondering if people have run into this and how do they go about solving this issue? I tried searching our tutorial and googling several other sites but no reliable results came up.

2. BTG

BTG overslept, pm me or chat in discord
    Exclusive Modding Team

usually this is pointless since proguard will obfuscate ALL known variables/functions/classes, leading to lengthy mapping list.

you can try to reverse it class by class, that's only if you know roughly what they are. it will take too long hence most will give up

3. tester123

Thanks for the reply. I figure the same because I couldn't keep all the classes in my head to really mesh them together. Although it happened that some variables are initialized when the game started and so it was easy to just mod that. This is mainly in regard to kairosoft games.

I was hoping to create a more complex/option mods, but I guess that will do. Thanks!

P.S. On the side note, how come more company don't do that for their games if it make decoding/modding it so much harder.

4. BTG

BTG overslept, pm me or chat in discord
    Exclusive Modding Team

Cause there is nothing stopping a dedicated hacker lmao...obfuscation is also bad for dev to investigate issue ;)

5. tester123

Generally dedicated hacker doesn't release a hard to hack game publicly. Obfuscation doesn't stop the dev from investigating issue because they have a map to go backward to their original code. I think ProGuard might not work/optimized well with Unity, so there has been none used so far in the games I've played/seen hack released for.

But yeah, if anyone knows how to get around it, please let me know :D Until then, i'll just skip obfuscated game in general.

6. iAlex

iAlex 《☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆》
    Exclusive Modding Team

there is a ADDIN for Net called Text Search ... i think you got what i mean ;)